Sunday 21 June 2015

Review - Tremor by Ryan Mark

Despite really enjoying dystopian fiction I hadn’t read any of this genre in a very long time until I read Tremor by Ryan Mark, a truly fantastic novel that had me hooked from beginning to end. I thoroughly enjoyed it and all I can say is that I hope this review does it the justice that it so very much deserves. 

In this book we meet William, a young boy who is struggling to come to terms with the death of his father, a man who by all accounts William very much looked up to and admired. His father died during the Fossil War, one which not only resulted in many deaths but also the elimination of many major governments and cities. Since the war, the earth and its survivors, also experience a number of powerful tremors which, to say the least, are hugely unpleasant and bring with them much disruption and destruction. In the wake of the war, Terrafall now governs the area in which this novel is set and has an army of Peace Enforcers who seem to enjoy nothing more than inflicting violence on the region’s citizens. Furthermore, with this government reigning, a huge number of people are going missing. 

One day William returns home from school and is instantly on alert as nothing is as it should be and someone - his mother - is missing. Thus we see him set out on a mission to find his mother, and whilst at first his only allies are his friend Althea and her little brother Ori we soon see the trio join forces with many others who, like William, want to find out exactly what is happening to all those who disappear.

This was an absolutely incredible book that was jam-packed with many twists and turns throughout it. The author, Ryan Mark, wrote in such a way that I found myself becoming quite attached to the main characters of the book and was really rooting for them, wanting nothing more than for everything to turn out right for them all. 

This is one of those books that I just know will appeal to a wide audience, particularly those who read and enjoyed the Hunger Games, Divergent or Delirium series. 

Having read and enjoyed this book so much, there is absolutely no doubt that I will be reading further books that are released in this series as Tremor is the first of, what I discovered, will become a trilogy. Upon finishing it, I was extremely happy to know that I would be reunited with both the author’s writing and the world he had so carefully and cleverly crafted for us, maybe not immediately but definitely in the future.