Monday 8 August 2016

Review - The Sunflower Cottage Breakfast Club by Lynsey James


I’m going to be completely honest from the start and say that I’ve never read anything by Lynsey James before. However, The Sunflower Cottage Breakfast Club was a book that I simply could not resist - the cover is absolutely divine and the storyline sounded right up my street. As soon as I got my hands on this book, it jumped straight to the top of my TBR pile and I thoroughly enjoyed every single minute of it. 

The novel centres around Emily, a young woman who lives in Glasgow and is not having very much luck. Having just lost out on a promotion at work the very last thing that she wants, expects or needs to hear is that the person who she’s always called dad isn’t actually her biological father. So, in an attempt to find her biological father Emily leaves Glasgow far behind and sets off to Luna Bay, where she not only discovers the glorious Sunflower Cottage but also Noah. Whilst it’s safe to say that things don’t get off to a smooth start between the pair, it’s not long before sparks start to fly.

At the start of this novel, I have to be completely honest and say that I wasn’t sure whether I would ever be able to warm to Emily. Apart from anything else she seemed to act far too old for her age and was someone who could definitely be described as a workaholic. However, as the story progressed we saw a whole new Emily emerge and it was absolutely delightful to see her transform and develop upon arriving in Luna Bay. It has to be said that throughout the story Emily is also surrounded by a whole cast of characters who all contribute something towards making this book as truly special as it was. Also there really was such a wonderful sense of community spirit that shone through in this novel, and I very much enjoyed this particular aspect of it. 

The Sunflower Cottage Breakfast Club is the second in a series of books set in Luna Bay and I’m ashamed to say that I completely missed out on the first book - The Broken Hearts Book Club. Although I believe that a number of characters in this book were first introduced to the reader in the first book in the series, not having read the first book didn’t stop me from enjoying The Sunflower Cottage Breakfast Club at all. I’d actually go so far as to say that with Lynsey James’ wonderful writing style, which is so engaging and entertaining from the start, it is actually impossible not to enjoy this book. 


The Sunflower Cottage Breakfast Club is a book that once started I found was impossible to put down and I read it in one sitting. Despite its relatively short length, it really was an absolute gem and I was very impressed by it. The book made for the most perfect summer reading and I know that I will be back to read much more written by the wonderful Lynsey James in the future. I’m really looking forward to seeing what she writes next and just wonder whether there will be a third visit to Luna Bay…