Saturday 10 September 2016

Review - Truth or Date by Portia MacIntosh

Truth or Date by Portia MacIntosh was the first book of hers that I’ve ever read and it was an absolute pleasure. I fell in love with it from the very first page and this was simply down to Portia’s delightful writing style. I read this book in just 24 hours and can honestly say that I regret leaving this book unread for so long. I cannot recommend this book highly enough, particularly if you’re looking for something to cheer you up and put a smile on your face. 

Recently, Ruby’s been having a few inappropriate and very vivid dreams about her flatmate Nick. The problem is that whilst she gets on very well with Nick in her dreams, in real life they don’t have a great friendship, which isn’t helped by his relationship with Heather who is the complete opposite of him and also makes no effort to get on with Ruby. With Nick in a relationship, Ruby’s been using a dating site called Matcher and has experienced a number of very unsuccessful dates. However, it doesn’t take long for her to start listening to her dreams and realise that Nick really is the man for her. So with the help of her best friend Millsy she sets out on operation Truth or Date where Ruby has a choice to make. She either needs to find a way to tell Nick how she really feels about him or attract his attention by dating like crazy. Just how successful will she be? 

Despite the fact that Ruby had a very different lifestyle to me, I found that I instantly liked her. She likes to have fun and doesn’t really care what anyone thinks of her but is at the same time totally loyal to and caring about those around her. I was fully invested in her story and so interested to see how things would turn out for her. The friendship that she had with Millsy was brilliant and seemed very real and strong. Whatever happened you knew that nothing would ever stop them from being friends and that they would always be there for eachother. I simply loved reading of their antics and  was forever wondering what they would get up to next. 

This book is written in a way that makes it impossible not to love. It’s light-hearted and I honestly don’t think that I’ve ever laughed so much whilst reading a book in a long time. It was also full of a few twists and turns which I didn’t expect and couldn’t predict the outcome of. I don’t want to give too much away but one situation turned out to be a lot less sinister than I at first imagined. Overall I found it to be a very refreshing love story, told in a way that really makes it stand out from the crowd. 

With a gorgeous cover and a brilliant story throughout, this book is irresistible. I urge you to pick it up if you haven’t already as it’s a little gem you don’t want to miss. It was a thoroughly entertaining, quick read that would make the perfect companion on these dark, autumn nights. Portia MacIntosh is now an author whose books I will always look out for and I’m already really looking forward to reading her next novel - It’s Not You, It’s Them - when it’s released later this month.