Friday 1 December 2017

Review - Meet Me Under the Mistletoe by Carla Burgess

It’s that time of year again when it finally becomes acceptable to read Christmas books and I honestly couldn’t be happier. My first festive read of this year was Meet Me Under the Mistletoe by Carla Burgess and I have to say that I thought this was a truly gorgeous book. As well being a fabulous way to begin the Christmas reading, Meet Me Under the Mistletoe certainly provided a wonderful introduction to Carla’s writing whose previous books I haven’t yet read. 

In this book we meet Rachel Jones who, having taken over her parent’s florist business, enjoys 
creating gorgeous floral displays to put a smile on other people’s faces. As the end of another busy day approaches, the new tenant who will be living in the flat above her shop enters.  His name is Anthony Bascombe, a very attractive man who asks Rachel out to dinner - an invitation which Rachel is delighted to accept. Whilst Rachel learns that Anthony is a Detective and they seem to hit it off, what she doesn’t immediately realise is that Anthony is not looking for romance with her but wants answers about how to find her ex-boyfriend. As the story progresses, will Anthony change his mind and take a chance on Rachel? 

Meet Me Under the Mistletoe was a book that was full of some really fabulous characters. Although I thought that the way he went about getting the information for his police investigation regarding Rachel’s ex was slightly underhand, Rachel and Anthony were two characters who worked really well together. The chemistry between them was evident from the start and as such I desperately hoped that something good would come of their relationship. Another character who really stood out for me was Bobbi whose story was extremely powerful and really highlighted what Christmas is all about - family and friends! 

What I loved about Meet Me Under the Mistletoe was how easy it was to become immersed in the story and this is undoubtedly due to Carla’s fabulous writing style which pulled me in from the very first page. With some truly wonderful description, I could picture everything perfectly and really felt like I was there with the characters.The amount of emotion and devotion that Carla has poured into Meet Me Under the Mistletoe really shines through and I found that it was impossible to put down. 

Meet Me Under the Mistletoe was a heartwarming, magical and highly enjoyable read that is guaranteed to leave readers with a smile on their face and in the festive spirit. I’m so glad that I’ve had the opportunity to read this book and discover Carla as an author. I’ll definitely be catching up on her previous books!