Monday 26 October 2015

Review - Christmas Wishes and Mistletoe Kisses by Jenny Hale

It’s already time for my third review of the #BookoutureXmas feature and this time it’s of Christmas Wishes and Mistletoe Kisses by Jenny Hale. This was actually the first book I’ve ever read by Jenny Hale and I have to say how very impressed and blown away I was by it. It was the perfect book to snuggle up with by the fire and it was certainly a beautiful, heart-warming festive novel that left me with a massive smile on my face. 

An uplifting, beautiful story about never letting go of your dreams, the special magic of a family Christmas… and the rush of falling in love under the mistletoe.

Single mother
Abbey Fuller loves her family more than anything, and doesn’t regret for a moment having had to put her dreams of being an interior designer on hold. But with her son, Max, growing up, when a friend recommends her for a small design job she jumps at the chance. How hard can it be?

Nick Sinclair needs his house decorated in time for his family’s festive visit – and money is no object. What he doesn’t need is to be distracted from his multi-million dollar business – even if it is Christmas.

When Abbey pulls up to the huge Sinclair mansion, she has a feeling she might be out of her depth. And when she meets the gorgeous, brooding Nicholas Sinclair, she knows that she’s in real trouble…

With the snow falling all around, can Abbey take the chance to make her dreams of being a designer come true? And can she help Nick to finally enjoy the magic of Christmas?
Jenny Hale wastes no time in throwing us straight into the story of Christmas Wishes and Mistletoe Kisses as we meet Abbey Fuller who, with feelings of nervousness, is approaching the mansion of Nicholas Sinclair. Now, Nicholas Sinclair is the grandson of Caroline, the lady who Abbey cares for as a nurse but Nicholas has not invited Abbey to his house to talk about that. Instead he has asked Abbey there with the sole intention of setting her to work on redesigning his grand house in time for Christmas. Having always wanted to become an interior designer Abbey accepts the job and works hard to both create the perfect home for Nicholas and help him figure out his priorities in life, all whilst continuing to care for her six year old son called Max, her mother and grandfather, and Caroline. 
From the moment I first met Abbey I loved everything about her character and what she stood for. I loved the very special relationship she had with her son, Max, and the way that she didn’t hold the fact that she couldn’t fulfil her dreams of becoming an interior designer because of having to look after him against him. It was also lovely to read of the way she put Max’s wishes and feelings before her own - before she did or committted to anything she thought of Max and his wellbeing and how her decisions would impact on him. I also really loved the way she’d do anything to support her mother and grandfather to the point where the money she earned from redesigning the house would go straight towards paying for the right medication for her grandfather who suffers from Parkinson’s. It was clear she had a very special bond and unbreakable connection with her grandfather and I always love it when books contain that element as I really do believe that grandparents play such an important role in our lives. 
Meanwhile, at first I really couldn’t make up my mind about Nicholas at all - he seemed to have little regard for anything except making as much money as possible, working all hours and being a successful businessman. However, by about halfway through when I saw the way he was starting to interact with Max and how he wasn’t a heartless ogre, I began to warm to him a lot more and knew exactly how I wanted things to turn out between him and Abbey. And, of course, I couldn't possibly write this review without briefly mentioning Max who I thought was a diamond being so incredibly bright and in tune with everything that was going on around him. 
This was an outstanding novel that was so beautifully written and descriptive throughout. It was also a book which I felt conveyed a couple of very important messages to the reader - firstly to never give up on your dreams and never stop believing and secondly that family is the most important thing in life and that without them we really are nothing. 

Needless to say I very much recommend this book and hope that it will touch your heart and leave you feeling all warm inside just as much as it did me. Having loved Christmas Wishes and Mistletoe Kisses as much as I did I’m now on a mission to discover more of what Jenny Hale has written…