Thursday 22 October 2015

Review - One Wish in Manhattan by Mandy Baggot

It’s that time of year again when the nights are drawing in, it’s getting cold outside and it's finally become acceptable to start reading Christmas books once again. Well reading Christmas books is exactly what I’ve been doing over the past few weeks as I’m very lucky to be taking part in a special feature being hosted by the lovely people over at Bookouture - #BookoutureXmas. This runs from the 22nd-27th October inclusive and will see a number of bloggers reading and reviewing, amongst other things, some great Christmas reads. 


Today I’m bringing you my review of One Wish in Manhattan by Mandy Baggot. Now, not only was this the first Christmas book I read this year but it was also the first book I’ve read by Mandy and all I can say is how great this book was - as a way to ease myself into reading Christmas books and introduce myself to Mandy’s writing. This book really was incredible and I loved every single minute I got to spend reading it. 


Christmas: it’s the most wonderful time of the year … to fall in love

The temperature is dropping, snow is on its way and Hayley Walker is heading for New York with one wish … to start over.

With her daughter Angel, Hayley is ready for adventure. But there’s more to New York than twinkly lights and breathtaking skyscrapers. Angel has her own Christmas wish – to find her real dad.

While Hayley tries to fulfil her daughter’s wish, she crosses paths with billionaire Oliver Drummond. Restless and bored with fast living, there’s something intriguing about him that has Hayley hooked.

Can Hayley dare to think her own dreams might come true – could A New York Christmas turn into a New York Forever?

Travel to the Big Apple this Christmas and join Hayley and Oliver as they realise life isn’t just about filling the minutes … it’s about making every moment count.

Everything about this book, from the cover to everything in between, was just absolutely perfect. From the start it’s clear that Hayley and Angel have such a great relationship going on that they are much more than just mother and daughter. They are best friends and each knows that the other will never stop being there for them no matter what happens. Hayley keeps Angel thinking positively and vice versa. Hayley and Angel were both such likeable characters that I couldn’t help but connect with them from the beginning and keep everything crossed that they’d succeed in their mission of finding Angel's father in New York. 

I couldn’t possibly write this review without mentioning Oliver, a business man who takes his job very seriously and does not take kindly to failure - his own or that of his employees. Towards the start of the novel I actually couldn’t bring myself to like Oliver in the slightest but, as the novel progressed, and as I learned more of his history and saw the way he was so understanding and supportive of Hayley and what she wanted to achieve whilst in New York I began to really like him as a person. 

One Wish in Manhattan really was so incredibly beautiful and I’m so glad I picked it as my first Christmas read of 2015. It’s not just your standard romantic Christmas story, but a romantic Christmas story with substance that deals with some very real issues. I really recommend this book and strongly recommend you get your hands on a copy of it sooner rather than later. You don't want to miss it!